What to Expect
Welcome and thank you for joining my course, Big Picture Storytelling! I am looking forward to working with you this year to explore the potential of digital storytelling to expand your audience, engage your community, and build support for your cause.
We are going to go deep in some areas, like how to find and develop good stories. We will also travel briskly through others, such as the wide world of apps. Along the way, you will have time, technology and professional support to develop your own storytelling strategy and projects.
By the end of the session you will:
- Identify the key story archetypes that represent your organization’s best stories.
- Collect valuable information about the people who support your work, and choose a strategy for communicating with your current and future audience.
- Learn from case studies and conversations with storytelling and nonprofit communications professionals.
- Explore many digital media tools, with special emphasis on photography, video, audio, and short-form writing for social media.
- Produce several social media stories (working together, we will create at least 3, but the sky is the limit for you!).
A little about your instructor (that’s me, Gin):
I have been a media educator for nearly 2 decades, with a special emphasis on working with young people, educators, and afterschool programs. As co-founder and executive director of Wide Angle Youth Media, I developed and coordinated all marketing strategies, including branding and online media. I moved to Vermont in 2011 to start a family and return to my true passion: teaching others how to tell their stories. I also tell 1st person stories onstage around the state, and love how conventional marketing has embraced the power of story, allowing my worlds to merge beautifully.
Also, while I write a nice professional introduction, I’m a bit of a goofball in the classroom. You have been warned.